Monday, February 16, 2009

Some odds 'n' ends re: technology

First, an interesting realization I had this morning that is directly related to our recent study of RSS:

I read this passage in Where the Action Is: The Foundations of Embodied Interaction by Paul Dourish (MIT, 2001)

Traditional textual interaction took place at teletype machines or serial terminals, where information appeared at the bottom of the screen and scrolled up to disappear off the top.

and only realized that it said information appeared at the bottom on the second reading. That makes sense, computer text read from top to bottom, just as a book does. However, I'm so used to having information fed to me through RSS feeds, that I'm used to the most recent information being at the top of the screen. On the first read-through my brain just processed that sentence in such a way that it made it seem that as an interaction progressed, information would disappear from the bottom of the screen.

Next, a link to my other blog:
Anyone Can Be a Blogger: Siftables

No comments: