Friday, May 1, 2009

Second Life


I felt more comfortable in Second Life after going through the exercises on Orientation Island, but overall, it wasn't my thing. I guess I just didn't get the point. For me, it wasn't useful or entertaining. I guess if that's where the patrons are, I should get used to it, but...it's just an uncomfortable medium for me. I'd even prefer a video chat where people could see actual-me, rather than avatar-me.

As we've been reading in the Farkas book and elsewhere, a lot of people use these online social tools primarily to interact with people they already know. I'm totally one of those people and so spent a lot of my time in Second Life feeling concerned that a stranger might try to interact with me and that I wouldn't know what to say or do. For one thing, don't these things always have complicated social rules and their own vocabulary and whatnot?

No comments: