Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thing 1: 7 1/2 Habits...

...of Highly-Successful Lifelong Learners

One thing I have learned early in my career as a librarian (which hasn't technically begun, I suppose, since I'm still in library school) is that to be successful in the field, I will have to embrace my role as a lifelong learner. Information and the ways we access it evolve so rapidly that it clearly won't suffice to rest on my laurels after graduation. I've already taken advantage of several CTLS and TLA "continuing" education opportunities and they've been incredibly beneficial; I know they will become increasingly more so after I graduate.

Of the 7 1/2 habits, creating my own learning toolbox is the easiest for me and teaching/mentoring is that hardest. I already utilize tools outside of the classroom for my library-related education: friends, a mentor, library blogs, etc. I think teaching/mentoring is something that could come with time, but because I have so little experience teaching I don't feel as confident as I'd like to.

Photo from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/joesuspense/29237751/in/set-603814/.

No comments: