Monday, January 5, 2009

Thing 22: LibriVox Rocks!

Despite what you might think having read my earlier post about my feelings toward podcasts and talk radio, I actually love audiobooks. One of the biggest lifestyle changes I experienced when moving to Texas was a huge increase in the amount of time I spend in the car (in fact, in Boston I didn't own a car). Let me tell you, that one is not in the "pros" column when it comes to comparing Boston to Austin. I hate driving. I hate spending so much time in my car every day. But, audiobooks help make that time much more bearable.

I think LibriVox is especially great because it's volunteer-driven. I love that the books available on LibriVox are there simply because someone enjoyed them enough to take the time to record and share them with the rest of us. I also love the huge selection. I suppose if I'd ever thought about it, I would've realized that so many great classics are now in the public domain. I hadn't thought about it, though, so browsing LibriVox's catalog was a very pleasant surprise.

No comments: