Sunday, April 19, 2009

to Ning or not to Ning

I didn't really know much about Ning until today. In fact, I only even knew it existed because someone mentioned the SCILS Ning on the wiki or Twitter or somewhere.

After poking around a little and watching LT's very informative screencast, I see that its major attraction to users is that each individual Ning is more exclusive than Facebook or MySpace so users feel more secure using it in terms of privacy (whether they are or not, I'm not sure). It also seems that some people who resist using Facebook or MySpace are more compelled to use a Ning because of its specific purpose. Rather than just signing up and seeing who you see, you join a specific group with a particular end in mind, to learn more about bicycle repair or to connect with other chihuahua lovers, for example.

However, it seems to me, that with the exception of the "sense of security," Ning's aims could also be achieved with a Facebook group (although, again, we've touched on something I don't know that much about; despite belonging to several, I primarily just lurk).

No comments: