Sunday, March 29, 2009

Blogging vs. Podcasting

I'm much more a visual learner than an audial learner, so my preference is for blogging. Blogging is also much more in line with my communication style because I can take time to deliberate over each thought and can go back and edit easily and often. Another reason I prefer blogs to podcasts is that, with blogs, I can control the rate at which I consume information. I can read much faster than most people speak in podcasts; I can also more easily choose to scan parts or to skip some parts altogether with text. Finally, I just don't have much of an attention span for listening to podcasts; when I listen to something, I have to also be doing something else-- cleaning, driving, etc.--whereas with text I can easily focus on just reading.

Still, podcasting does have its "pros." Being able to speak or to listen often gives nuance to language that is hard to capture textually. Also, the very fact I mentioned above, that I like to do other things while listening, is great for learners on-the-go.

No comments: