Sunday, March 15, 2009

Librarians as Tastemakers

Like others, I suspect that Anderson addresses "New Producers, New Markets, and New Tastemakers" in his book, since I can't find those concepts referenced in the original Wired articles. Still, while I can't address Andersons constructs specifically, I do have an idea of librarians as tastemakers and market-creators that I can address here.

Obviously, librarians have the power to be tastemakers based on the books they recommend; the materials they display prominently in the library, and simply by collecting certain items and not others. I think librarians factor specifically in creating markets in the "long tail," though because they provide free access to things that patrons might never try if they had to pay for them. For example, you might be hesitant to buy a CD by an artist you've never heard of or even one that's been recommended to you but that you've never heard a song by, but you might go ahead and pick up a CD by an unkown artist from the library because the worst that can happen is that you hate it and you bring back the CD early. No big deal, nothing lost.

I also notice that my library creates a market for DVDs that would probably be considered in the "long tail" for the very reason that they are in the "long tail." It's harder to find foreign films, documentaries, and PBS specials at Blockbuster, so those things check out like crazy at the library. I know I personally often use the library for long tail items that I have a hard time finding through retailers like obscure or out of print books; sometimes I have to resort to ILL, but I'll still do it to get that last book in a series or whatever.

No comments: