Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Educational Experience

Texas State CapitolUT Tower Close-upMy Office - The DeskPCL - TeenSpace


I chose to include four thumbnails from my "educational experience" set on Flickr because, while there are many things I could say about my educational experience, I think the most important thing is to highlight that my library school education isn't limited to the physical classroom. Yes, my school and the community of faculty, staff, and students there, are important parts of my education (and of my social life, too!).

The picture of the capitol represents how I am able to take advantage of local resources outside of school. I have been fortunate to have two mentors from public libraries in the area and have taken advantage of several continuing education opportunities through the Central Texas Library Association. I am also a member of the Texas Library Association and thanks to two stipends I have been awarded this year, I will be attending the TLA annual conference in Houston this year.

The picture of my office represents how I am able to connect to other students and librarians around the world through my internet connection. I'm subscribed to something like 30 blogs on library topics, I participate in e-mail listservs, and I am taking this course online through the WISE consortium.

Finally, the last picture is of the public library where I work full-time. Being able to apply classroom lessons at work and to relate work experiences in the classroom has been invaluable to me. I feel that the combination of the two has prepared me quite well for my career as a professional librarian.

Check out more pictures of my educational experience here!
Check out my classmates' pictures here!

No comments: